Thursday 4 June 2015

If wine is the answer, what's the question?

LittleBear: Mummy! You haven't got anything to drink with your dinner!
PhysicsBear: So I don't. I'll go and get something. Thank you LittleBear.

I head into the kitchen and put the kettle on

LB: Mummy? Are you ever going to not have tea to drink with lunch and dinner?
PB: Erm... I quite often don't have tea actually. In fact, you're right, I don't want tea. I'll have something else.

I turn kettle off

LB: Are you going to have wine?

It's 5:45. Yes, it was a vexing, frustrating, rage-inducing day at work, but I'm not going to hit the bottle. Yet.

PB: No, I think I'll just have juice, thank you.
LB: But you like wine don't you Mummy?
PB: Ah, well, yes I suppose I do. Why do you think I like wine?

Beginning to get perturbed now. I mean, I think the last time LittleBear saw me drink any wine was at Christmas, and that was one glass. Where has this idea come from?

LB: Because Daddy likes wine

Even more bemused now. I can't remember when BigBear last drank a glass of wine. Flummoxed by this conversation I decide on a change of course.

PB: I'm having juice. Would you like to try some?
LB: Juice is yucky to me.
PB: Have you ever tried it?
LB: No. It's yucky.
PB: How do you know it's yucky?
LB: Because I've never tried it.

And there is the heart of the logic that appears to prevent LittleBear eating or drinking anything new. Meanwhile I am left with a lingering concern about what LittleBear might be saying about my drinking at nursery...

 

2 comments:

  1. On, children. Mine like to declaim " I don't like it!" as they put the first bite of something new in their mouths, to which I say, how would you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fondly hoping he'll grow out of it. One day. Though his father isn't exactly gastronomically adventurous, so I'm not holding my breath...

      Delete